Water damage related losses don’t only occur when it rains for days. Problems cause by water can happen any day of the year. These problems can range from an overflowing toilet, leaking water heater, or an overloaded washing machine. Resulting in minor damage to devastating and costly.
So even with water damage coverage, there are a few things you should consider to prevent water damage caused by events inside your home. The following is a checklist that will remind you of potential problems and some preventative measures you can take to avoid damage cause by water.
External factors and foundation
- Has the grade of your house settled?
- Are all the windows and doors properly sealed?
- Is the foundation in good condition? If not, fix it immediately (especially with spring just around the corner)
- Is your leaching bed or storm sewer backed up?
Plumbing, fixtures, and pipes
- Do you know where the water shut off valves are in your home? If not, become familiar. It could save you a big head ache some day.
- Check your washing machine and dishwasher hoses for signs of deterioration and replace hoses that show any evidence of cracking.
- If you have an older water heater, consider replacing it. Also, know and follow the recommended maintenance procedures for your appliances, such as periodically draining the water heater to clean out the sediment at the bottom of the tank.
- How old is your house/plumbing? If there is rust or corrosion on your plumbing fixtures consider a renovation. Furthermore, make sure the seals around your bathroom and kitchen fixtures are in good shape.
- Are you living in an area that is prone to flooding?
- Does your basement have a sump pump? If so, it would be wise to consider a battery back-up sump pump just to be safe.
This checklist should allow you to identify any problems in your home that you can prevent when it comes to water damage. Depending on where you live, there are certain events that are out of our control and we have to deal with those events accordingly as they arise. If you have questions feel free to contact us.